What gets called mental disorder or illness, mild or severe, shows itself as a misplaced fear of others. Personal relationships break down, followed by an inability to form and maintain new ones. The sufferer becomes progressively more emotionally and cognitively isolated. Madness results from our failure to constantly update and modify our mental map of the world. If we do not ‘test’ our predictions, beliefs, dreams, thoughts, internal dialogue, fantasies, hypotheses, plans, ideas about how the world is, and what the people within it think and feel, our map becomes rapidly out of date. If we act with an out of date model of the world - we will look mad to others, and they will treat us as mad. If others don’t share a large part of our model of reality we are emotionally and cognitively isolated. We need an accurate map; by sharing we come to have a more complete understanding than we could ever achieve alone. The ability to doubt and live with uncertainty, and hence know that we must constantly test our vision of the world - is sanity. To control and fix our view is the first step on the road to disaster and the way an unchanging outlook is maintained is by isolating oneself from any evidence that might contradict it. An unmodified and out of date model of the world is one where our thoughts and feelings are anchored in the past, hence our predictions of the future may be hopelessly wrong.



Tuesday 2 November 2010

So what is wrong with me?

The short answer is that 16 years ago I was diagnosed as manic depressive (now Bipolar 1). If you’re satisfied with that as an explanation then either you are an official (who needs a label and no more) or a fool. Of course I had been diagnosed several times before that. In the seven years after my first meeting with a psychiatrist in 1987; it was first a reactive depression, then a psychotic episode, then severe depression, a short gap of normality, then schizoid affective disorder, and more depression before it settled upon Bipolar.

My perception of my problems, or acceptance of such labels, changed over the years too. Before entering the mental health system I was quite clear psychiatry was the ‘dismal science’, but within days of my first admission I’d lost track of what I felt my problems were. I’d entered a new world of psychological interpretations, but had also begun to be influenced by the clients around me. The end result was that over a period of a decade I became completely converted to defining who, and what I was, by the use of psychiatric labels. I came to the belief that ‘bipolar’ explained myself, to myself. And for a few years more, no doubt with much confirmation bias, I remained thoroughly dis-abled!

It wasn’t until six or seven years ago, when I radically changed my ‘world view’, that I had to then set about revising my view of myself. I began to view the world, from minute to minute, as well as over millions of years, from the point of view of Darwinian evolution by natural selection, and that let me step-out of ‘the preoccupation with self’ that seems to paralyse so many people in mental distress. Viewing all human activity in evolutionary terms, including all social and cultural activity, allows you to see ‘before your very eyes‘ the unfolding of human psychological behaviour on a daily basis - how the interaction between people (including mental health workers, clients and carers) usually reproduces, and only very occasionally transforms, relationships. All of which has led to what verges on contempt for the world of mental health, as evidenced by many of the previous posts on this blog.

Of course an expression of contempt is hugely powerful, if you see it in the face of a partner, then the relationship may as well to over. I haven’t been a client of mental health services for three years, I’ve ceased almost all ‘involvement in Involvement’ or participation, refused for six months now to meet with anyone in an official mental health building and severed links with mental health academics.

I’m now left with two kinds of explanation of myself, between which I flip from time to time. The less common one might be titled; ‘How the hell should I know what’s wrong with me?’ For the sorry facts are that I’ve spent my life not getting the jobs I wanted and being largely unemployed, and unemployable - unable to live to a set routine, accept authority or responsibility for others. A life of not sleeping with the women I really wanted to, but having a succession of short-term relationships with whoever would have me, plus long periods of living alone. And despite all the studying I’ve done, I still don‘t know why I’m largely ignored by the rest of the world. For example, not so long ago I wrote;

‘Just had one of those horrific moments of despair (thankfully they never last long) when I realise that by being honest and true to myself I’ve lived a life of broken relationships, unemployment, mental illness and academic rejection. As a result what blissful moments there have been have largely been experienced alone. And yet any outsider looking-on would conclude that although the day began and ended alone, it was full of good company and worthwhile activity. The more ‘well’ and socially skilled I become, the more angry and isolated I feel.’

So one kind of explanation is that insight has brought me nothing, but that should not be unexpected with someone so unable to understand others. In this sense the question: ‘So what is wrong with me?’ is for others to answer.

The second explanation is the academic one, the alternative to psychiatry, the more neuro-scientifically flavoured one:

a) There is natural variation in the limbic system (which regulates emotion) between the brains of individuals living in any particular environment; my inheritance is that I’m more highly sensitive to my environment than most others. Such sensitivity is occasionally useful, but when the majority in my environment are less sensitive, my emotional reactions look to others like rapid and consistent overreactions. Equally, I’m likely to quickly become over-stimulated and feel the need to socially withdraw. Such reactions occur over the whole range of emotions, which the crude psychiatric category of ‘mood’ hardly begins to encompass.

b) So when it comes to nurture (social learning) individuals bring their particular genetic inheritance to learning in particular environments. But whatever the background and context, the outcome is that we learn (using the inherited capacity to imitate) varying degrees of empathy (the ability to feel what others feel) and a ‘theory of mind’ (knowing how others think). Bringing the consequences of a) to my own particular environment, my ability for empathy and to a lesser extent to share a theory of mind were blocked. I even have problems recognising the universal facial expressions of emotion. So when psychiatry focuses on something called ‘depression’ they are attempting to treat the consequences (rejection or ejection from normal purposeful social interaction) rather than the cause.

c) Finally there is a third process which even neuroscience, let alone psychiatry, hardly recognises and about which I’m only aware of the consequences - and that is handedness. I am very left-handed, instinctively a southpaw, but I also want to move anti-clockwise, often transpose figures and letters - all in a world designed by right-handed people. But of course I’ve known no other world and I am well adapted. Nevertheless I have the horrible suspicion that these instinctive ‘reversals’ happen all the time when I try to relate emotionally to others - and if they do, what must others feel about me?

However one of the implications of the above, and much of the content of this blog, is that a search or journey for conscious explanation is merely a ‘story we tell ourselves’, after the fact and of no causal consequences, and so must be of no importance when attempting to transform one’s own, or anyone else’s behaviour - our routines, rituals, habits and addictions. One should of course be asking what does Nick Hewling do, and ‘how’ does he do it?

I like to think of myself as a mental health peer supporter. I have much greater confidence in my understanding of people when they’re crazy than when they’re together! I almost always know how to react in a useful way. I’ve done my 10,000 hours and some of that learning has become instinctual. On the one hand I’ve always despised those workers who don’t live in the area in which they work and therefore don’t know a client’s territory, who believe their work can be professionalised by impersonal rules of best practice and imagine therefore they can use some different psychology than in their ‘personal’ lives. But equally I’ve come to mistrust the kind of peer support that has been turned into work, formalised and made ‘intentional’ - which rapidly comes to resemble the kind of talking therapy it was intended to replace. I’m accountable only to myself, my rules of effective and ethical conduct have evolved over two decades. I can operate when I like, where I like. To my mind you cannot be an effective helper unless you can do it standing up in the street, or in a bus queue with an audience of ordinary people. What the person in mental distress needs, is support to feel at home in normal social spaces. And I don’t mind occasionally looking crazy to outsiders in order to build a rapport with someone who is being activity avoided by others. Confidences can be offered and received when necessary in the normal way, in close proximity with appropriately lowered voices. Of course such informal peer support is increasingly facilitated by web-based social networks.

What workers think they achieve in one hour in an isolated consulting room I cannot imagine, I’m often with clients before and after such an appointment and actively undoing their work. Having lived in my local area a long time I’m now quite conspicuous, but have come to know the routine of so many clients that I can have as many ‘chance’ encounters as I like. My activity is also purposeful in another sense, I do ‘set the stage’ a lot, contriving the time, location and activity - so as to create an atmosphere conducive to new learning. Motivation can only come from others, and in pursuing people one purses knowledge and skill, I practice social skills like I practice rolling and smoking a cigarette. I know what others want from me; warmth, confidence and competence, humour, to feel what strength I have so they can feel safe and good about themselves. They want my ability to be serious without making heavy talk. I do it by turning my fear and judgement into curiosity, confidence and competence, doubt into accurate assessment, the desire to control into the ability to live with change and uncertainty. I model, verbally and more importantly non-verbally, more effective ways of being with.

No comments:

Post a Comment